Crude atheism: no being at all is God.
Sophisticated theology: God is no being at all. (Armstrong)
Dan Dennett 2009
I had a go at posting this here:
1. Shall we ask, by what commandments should we live?
2. Or might we better ask, each of ourselves:
3. What kind of person should I be?
4. The first question assumes that there is one right answer. 5. The second assumes that there are many right answers.
6. If we ask how to answer the second question, we are answered in yet other questions:
7. What should you do when you see another suffering, or in need, afraid, or hungry?
8. What causes are worthy, what world do you dream of where your child plays safely in the street?
9. There are many such questions, some already their own answer, some unanswerable.
10. But when all the answers to all the questions are summed together, no one hears less than this:
11. Love well, seek the good in all things, harm no others, think for yourself, take responsibility, respect nature, do your utmost, be informed, be kind, be courageous: at least, sincerely try.
12. Add to these ten injunctions, this: O friends, let us always be true to ourselves and to the best in things, so that we can always be true to one another.